This is such an exciting age to work with as kids discover that they can be active participants in the literary cycle and imagine themselves as authors!
Our goals for composing with kids of this age are:
- To immerse the children in a creative environment, allowing them to express their individuality through choice of topic, character and expression of ideas.
- To encourage them to think ahead and make intentional crafting decisions.
- To build composition stamina.
- To build their willingness to problem solve while writing.
- To help them consider audience.
- To encourage them to experiment with word choice.
- To introduce mood.
- To help them understand what it means to think like a writer.
- To develop their understanding about books and authors.
- To have so much fun that they want to keep on writing!